Terms of Reference for the ASCOBANS Working Group on Bycatch
(as agreed by AC21 in 2015)
The group will work intersessionally by making use of the Advisory Committee Workspace (http://workspace.ascobans.org) with the provisional tasks listed below; these can be fine-tuned by the group itself where deemed necessary. The group should coordinate its activities closely with the regional working groups of ASCOBANS.
1) Collect and prepare an overview of scientific information related to bycatch of harbour porpoises in the part of the ASCOBANS area not covered by the Jastarnia Plan, the ‘Gap Area’ Plan and the North Sea Conservation Plan.
2) Collect and prepare an overview of information related to bycatch of other small cetaceans.
3) Endeavour actively to include participation from relevant non-Party Range States.
4) Report on projects related to bycatch mitigation, especially in relation to the cetaceans mentioned in (1) and (2).
5) Prepare an overview of new national and international legislation and measures relevant to the monitoring and management of bycatch of the cetaceans mentioned in (1) and (2), and include compliance with relevant legislation.
6) Prepare, where useful and appropriate, advice on monitoring, target setting, assessment and management of bycatch of the small cetaceans mentioned in (1) and (2), independently, but also liaising with other working groups within ASCOBANS, such as the MSFD WG, and other fora where this subject is being dealt with, a.o. fisheries fora.
7) Report back to the next AC meeting, and where useful provide input in other relevant meetings or working groups intersessionally.